RED HARVEST
Adapted by Kateule Sydney from the Original Work by Dashiell Hammett · Public domain (1929)
PLAYBOOK 3: THE RED HARVEST
Chapters 15–21
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 15: The Trap Is Set
The Op prepares his final gambit
Chapter 16: The Meeting at Midnight
The confrontation with Thaler
Chapter 17: The Shooting at the Warehouse
Violence erupts in the darkness
Chapter 18: The Aftermath
Counting the dead
Chapter 19: The Op's Revelation
The truth comes out
Chapter 20: The Trial
Justice in Poisonville
Chapter 21: The Price of Victory
What the red harvest cost
Chapter 15: The Trap Is Set
The message was delivered to Thaler that night. I knew he would come. He was too proud, too arrogant to refuse. He had been challenged, and he would not back down.
I spent the next day preparing. I met with Chief Cato in secret, showing him the evidence I had gathered. He agreed to bring his men to the meeting and arrest Thaler.
Chief Cato (his voice nervous): "Are you sure this will work, Op? Thaler has men everywhere."
Op: "I'm sure. Just make sure your men are ready. When I give the signal, move in."
Chief Cato: "And what about you? What if Thaler tries to kill you before I get there?"
Op: "Then I'll have to stay alive until you arrive."
I left him there, his face pale with fear. He was a coward, but he was my coward. And he would do what I told him.
That evening, I went to see Dinah. She was in her parlor, a glass of wine in her hand. She looked tired, but there was a strength in her eyes that I hadn't seen before.
Dinah: "The message was delivered. Thaler will meet you at midnight. At the warehouse."
Op: "Good. That's what I wanted."
Dinah (her voice soft): "Be careful, Op. I don't want to see you get hurt."
I looked at her, and for a moment, I saw something in her eyes that I hadn't seen before. She cared about me. It was a strange feeling, having someone care about me in the middle of all this chaos.
Op: "I'll be fine. I've been in worse situations than this."
Dinah: "That doesn't make me worry any less."
She stood up and walked to the window, staring out at the dark street.
Dinah: "You know, I used to think that there was no hope for this town. That it was too far gone. But then you came along. And you made me believe that things could change."
I didn't know what to say to that. So I said nothing.
I left her there and walked out into the night. The streets were quiet, the tension palpable. Everyone in Personville knew that something big was about to happen. They just didn't know what.
I was about to give them an answer.
Chapter 16: The Meeting at Midnight
The warehouse was dark and silent when I arrived. The only light came from the moon, shining through the grimy windows. I walked to the center of the building and waited.
I didn't have to wait long. At midnight, the door opened and Thaler walked in. He was alone, his silver-tipped cane in his hand. He was wearing a dark suit, and his face was composed, calm.
Thaler (his voice cold): "You wanted to see me, Op. I'm here."
Op: "I wanted to give you one last chance, Thaler. Give yourself up. Surrender your organization. It's the only way you'll survive."
He laughed, a harsh sound that echoed through the warehouse.
Thaler: "You're a fool, Op. Do you really think you can beat me? I own this town. The police, the politicians, the courts. They all work for me."
Op: "They used to work for you. But things have changed. People are starting to see the truth."
Thaler: "And what truth is that?"
Op: "That you're nothing but a bully. And bullies always fall in the end."
His face darkened. He raised his cane, and I tensed, expecting an attack. But he just held it there, pointing it at me like a weapon.
Thaler: "I've had enough of your games, Op. I'm going to kill you now."
He pressed a button on his cane, and a blade shot out from the tip. It was a sword cane—a hidden weapon. He lunged at me, the blade aimed at my heart.
I dodged to the side, drawing my gun. But before I could fire, the warehouse doors burst open and Chief Cato rushed in, followed by a dozen police officers.
Chief Cato (his voice triumphant): "Thaler! You're under arrest! Drop the weapon!"
Thaler froze, his face a mask of rage. He turned to face the police, his sword still raised.
Thaler (his voice cold): "You traitor, Cato. I made you. I made you what you are."
Chief Cato (his voice shaking): "I'm not a traitor. I'm just a man who's finally doing what's right."
Thaler laughed, a wild, crazy sound.
Thaler: "What's right? There's no right or wrong in this world, Cato. There's only power. And you've just given yours away."
He turned and ran, heading toward the back of the warehouse. I gave chase, my gun raised.
Chapter 17: The Shooting at the Warehouse
Thaler ran through the warehouse, his footsteps echoing on the concrete floor. I followed him, staying just behind. He was fast, but I was faster.
He reached the back door and tried to open it. It was locked. He turned, his sword raised, his face a mask of desperation.
Thaler (his voice trembling): "Stay back! I'll kill you!"
Op: "It's over, Thaler. Put down the weapon."
He lunged at me, the blade aimed at my throat. I stepped to the side and fired. The bullet caught him in the shoulder. He spun around and fell to the ground, his sword clattering away.
I walked over to him and stood over him, my gun still raised.
Thaler (his voice weak): "You've won, Op. But you've lost too. You don't know what you've done."
Op: "I know exactly what I've done. I've ended your reign. I've freed this town."
He laughed, a wet, bubbling sound.
Thaler: "Freed it? You've burned it to the ground. The red harvest, Op. That's what you've brought. Blood and fire."
He coughed, blood spilling from his lips. I watched him die, his eyes staring at the ceiling. He was gone, and with him, the old Personville.
Chief Cato came running up behind me, his face pale.
Chief Cato: "Is he dead?"
Op: "He's dead."
Cato looked down at the body, his face unreadable. Then he turned to me.
Chief Cato: "What do we do now?"
Op: "Now we start cleaning up the mess."
I walked out of the warehouse, leaving Thaler's body behind. The night was cold, the sky filled with stars. It was over. The war was finally over.
Chapter 18: The Aftermath
The morning after Thaler's death, I went to see Elihu Willsson. He was sitting in his office, a glass of whiskey in his hand, his face gray with exhaustion. The news of Thaler's death had spread through the city like wildfire.
Elihu Willsson (his voice hoarse): "You did it. You killed Thaler."
Op: "He's dead. The city is free."
He shook his head, a bitter smile on his face.
Elihu Willsson: "Free? You've killed more than just Thaler, Op. You've killed a dozen men. You've turned this city into a war zone."
Op: "That was the only way. You can't clean up a town like this without bloodshed."
Elihu Willsson: "And what about the next town? And the one after that? Are you going to go around the country, killing everyone who stands in your way?"
I didn't have an answer for that. I had done what I had to do. But the cost was higher than I had anticipated.
I left his office and walked through the streets of Personville. The city was quiet, but there was a sense of hope in the air. People were coming out of their homes, looking at the world with new eyes.
I went to Dinah's house. She was waiting for me on the porch, a glass of wine in her hand.
Dinah: "You look like you've seen a ghost."
Op: "I've seen a lot of them lately."
She laughed, a soft, sad sound.
Dinah: "Come inside. I'll make you some coffee."
I followed her inside, and for the first time in weeks, I felt a sense of peace. The war was over. The red harvest was complete.
Chapter 19: The Op's Revelation
A week passed. The city began to heal. The police force was cleaned up. The corrupt politicians were arrested. New leadership emerged, and Personville started to look like a real city.
But I had one more thing to do. I had to tell the truth about Donald Willsson's murder.
I called a meeting at City Hall. The room was filled with reporters, politicians, and curious citizens. Elihu Willsson was there, sitting in the front row.
I stood at the podium and looked out at the crowd.
Op: "I've called you here today to tell you the truth about the murder of Donald Willsson."
A murmur ran through the crowd. Elihu Willsson sat up straighter, his face pale.
Op: "For months, people have speculated about who killed Donald Willsson. Some said it was Max Thaler. Others said it was his father."
I paused, letting the tension build.
Op: "But the truth is more complicated. Donald Willsson was killed by Police Chief Cato, on the orders of Max Thaler."
The crowd erupted. Chief Cato, who was sitting in the back of the room, jumped to his feet.
Chief Cato (his voice shouting): "That's a lie! I never killed anyone!"
I turned to face him, my eyes cold.
Op: "I have evidence, Chief. Testimony from witnesses, and a confession from one of your own men. You killed Donald Willsson. You pulled the trigger."
His face went pale. He opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out. He slumped back into his chair, defeated.
Elihu Willsson stood up, his face a mask of rage.
Elihu Willsson: "You've known this all along? And you didn't tell me?"
Op: "I had to wait until the timing was right. Until I had everything I needed."
He stared at me for a long moment, then sat down heavily. He looked older, more broken than I had ever seen him.
The room was silent. The truth was finally out. And Personville would never be the same.
Chapter 20: The Trial
The trial of Chief Cato began a month later. It was a media sensation, with reporters from all over the country packing the courtroom. I was called as a witness, and I told the truth about everything I had seen and done.
The prosecution presented a strong case. They had evidence of Cato's corruption, his connection to Thaler, and his role in the murder of Donald Willsson. The defense argued that Cato had been acting under duress, that he had been forced to do Thaler's bidding.
But the evidence was overwhelming. The jury deliberated for only four hours before returning a verdict of guilty. Chief Cato was sentenced to life in prison.
After the trial, I went to see Dinah. She was waiting for me in her parlor, a bottle of wine on the table.
Dinah: "It's over. It's finally over."
Op: "Yes. It is."
She poured us both a glass of wine and handed one to me. I took it and sipped it slowly.
Dinah: "What are you going to do now, Op? Are you going to leave Personville?"
Op: "I think so. There's nothing left for me here."
She nodded, her eyes sad.
Dinah: "I'll miss you, Op. You've been... a light in this dark place."
I looked at her, and for a moment, I considered staying. But I knew I couldn't. There was nothing left for me in Personville. The red harvest was complete.
Op: "You could come with me."
She laughed, a soft, sad sound.
Dinah: "No, Op. I belong here. This is my home. And now, for the first time, I think I might be able to make it something good."
I nodded. She was right. She had changed, just as Personville had changed. And maybe that was the real victory.
Chapter 21: The Price of Victory
I left Personville on a cold morning in December. The city was quiet, the streets empty. I walked to the train station, my bags in my hands, and bought a ticket to San Francisco.
As the train pulled out of the station, I looked out the window at the city I had changed. The smelters were still smoking, the mountains were still ugly, but there was something different about it. Something hopeful.
I thought about everything that had happened. The deaths, the betrayals, the lies. The red harvest had been bloody, but it had been necessary. Personville was free now, and that was what mattered.
I thought about Dinah, and the look on her face when I had left. I would miss her. But I knew she would be fine. She was strong, and she had found her purpose.
I thought about Elihu Willsson, the old Czar of Poisonville. He had lost his son, and he had nearly lost his city. But he had found redemption in the end. He had helped me clean up the town, and he had done it for the right reasons.
I thought about Chief Cato, rotting in prison. He had been a coward and a corrupt man. But he had also been a victim of the system, a man who had been trapped by circumstances. I didn't pity him, but I understood him.
I thought about Thaler, the monster who had terrorized the city. He was dead, and I was glad. He had been pure evil, and the world was better without him.
And I thought about myself. I had started this war with a clear purpose, but I had lost myself in the process. I had become a weapon, a tool of destruction. I had done terrible things, and I would have to live with them.
But I had also done good. I had freed a city from its oppressors. I had given hope to people who had none. I had made a difference.
And maybe that was enough.
The red harvest was over. The fields were bare. But the seeds of a new Personville had been planted. And in time, they would grow.
I closed my eyes and listened to the rhythm of the train. The past was behind me. The future was ahead. And I was ready for whatever came next.
EPILOGUE
The city of Personville—once known as Poisonville—began to heal. The corrupt were replaced by honest men, the criminals were driven out, and the people learned to trust again. The red harvest had been bloody, but it had been necessary. The Op had brought change, and the city would never forget him.
In the end, the Op walked away, carrying the weight of what he had done. But he also carried the hope that he had helped create.
End of Playbook 3
Navigation
Read the full series
YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO READ
⚡ NICK CARTER AT WESTERN UNION JUNCTION PLAYBOOK 1 · THE TELEGRAM FROM NOWHERE
The first playbook in the adaptation of the classic Nick Carter detective series
Read Now →Adapted from the Original Work by Dashiell Hammett
Public domain (1929) · This adaptation follows the playbook series format
Comments
Post a Comment