Skip to main content

Featured

POIROT INVESTIGATES: Playbook 4 · The Kidnapped Prime Minister, The Disappearance of Mr. Davenheim, & The Adventure of the Italian Nobleman

POIROT INVESTIGATES Playbook 4 · The Kidnapped Prime Minister, The Disappearance of Mr. Davenheim, & The Adventure of the Italian Nobleman Adapted from the Original work by Agatha Christie · Public domain (1924) Hercule Poirot investigates a kidnapped Prime Minister, a banker's disappearance, and the death of an Italian nobleman. Table of Contents Chapter 1 — The Kidnapped Prime Minister · Part I Chapter 2 — The Kidnapped Prime Minister · Part II Chapter 3 — The Kidnapped Prime Minister · Part III Chapter 4 — The Disappearance of Mr. Davenheim · Part I Chapter 5 — The Disappearance of Mr. Davenheim · Part II Chapter 6 — The Disappearance of Mr. Davenheim · Part III Chapter 7 — The Adventure of the Italian Nobleman · Part I Chapter 8 — The Adventure of the Italian Nobleman · Part II Chapte...

POIROT INVESTIGATES: Playbook 1 · The Adventure of "The Western Star" & The Tragedy at Marsdon Manor

POIROT INVESTIGATES

Playbook 1 · The Adventure of "The Western Star" & The Tragedy at Marsdon Manor
Adapted from the Original work by Agatha Christie · Public domain (1924)
Hercule Poirot, the great Belgian detective, in his first collection of short stories.

Chapter 1 — The Adventure of "The Western Star" · Part I

Summary: The famous actress Mary Marvell seeks Poirot's help after receiving threatening letters about her diamond, the "Western Star." Poirot and Hastings travel to her home, and a sinister, bearded Chinaman is seen lurking near the house.

I was sitting at my friend Poirot's rooms one morning, reading the morning papers. The weather was delightful, and I was enjoying a sense of peace and quiet, which was rare in our busy lives. Poirot was busy with a little brown volume which he had just received from the library, and he seemed completely absorbed in its contents.

Suddenly, he looked up and caught my eye. He smiled in that knowing way of his, and said, "My friend, you are in a brown study. You have the air of a dreamer. What is it that occupies your thoughts so completely?"

Hastings: "I was thinking, Poirot, of the remarkable case of the 'Western Star.' It is a story that has fascinated me since I first read about it in the newspapers."

Poirot: "Ah, yes, the case of the famous diamond. It was a most interesting affair. I am not surprised you should be thinking of it. The whole thing was a clever piece of deception, as I shall explain to you one day."

Hastings: "I should like to hear your version of it. The newspapers gave only the barest details."

Poirot: "The newspapers, my friend, are often mistaken. They give the facts, but not the truth. I will tell you the true story, one day."

Just then, there was a knock at the door, and our maid announced that a lady was below, asking to see Monsieur Poirot. She was a beautiful young woman, with dark hair and a pale, anxious face. Her eyes were red-rimmed, as though she had been crying.

Lady: "Monsieur Poirot, I am in great distress. My name is Mary Marvell. I am the actress. Perhaps you have heard of me?"

Poirot: "I know you well, Madame. I have seen you on the stage many times. Your performance in 'The Lady of the Camellias' was quite unforgettable. What can I do for you?"

Mary Marvell: "It is about my jewel, the 'Western Star.' I have received these letters, and I am terrified. I do not know what to do."

She took a packet from her handbag and handed it to Poirot. He opened it and examined the contents carefully, holding each letter up to the light and smelling the paper. There were three letters, written in a strange, oriental script, on coarse, yellow paper.

Poirot: "This is remarkable, Madame. It appears to be a threat of the most serious kind. It says, 'Return the Star to the temple from whence it came, or you will suffer the consequences.' Have you any enemies who might wish to harm you?"

Mary Marvell: "I cannot imagine who would wish to harm me. I am at my wit's end. The letters began arriving three weeks ago, and they have become more and more threatening."

Poirot: "And the police? Have you consulted them?"

Mary Marvell: "I have, but they seem to think it is a practical joke. They have done nothing."

Poirot assured her that he would take the case and that she should not worry. He suggested they visit her home that evening, to examine the place where the jewel was kept and to interview the household.

Chapter 2 — The Adventure of "The Western Star" · Part II

Summary: Poirot and Hastings arrive at Mary Marvell's home. Poirot questions the household, including her husband, the American financier, and her Chinese servant. The atmosphere is tense, and a mysterious death occurs.

We arrived at Mary Marvell's home, a beautiful house in the country, surrounded by extensive gardens. The lady herself greeted us at the door, looking even more anxious than she had earlier in the day.

Mary Marvell: "Monsieur Poirot, I am so glad you have come. I have had another letter since I saw you this morning. It is more threatening than the others."

Poirot: "Show me, Madame. Let me see what new development we have to contend with."

Poirot read the letter carefully, his face impassive. He then folded it and placed it in his pocket. "It is as I thought," he said. "The writer is growing impatient. We must act quickly."

He then proceeded to question the household. He spoke first to the husband, a Mr. Gregory Rolf, who seemed more concerned about his business affairs than his wife's safety. He was a tall, florid man, with a loud voice and an impatient manner.

Gregory Rolf: "I cannot see what all the fuss is about. It is probably some practical joke, or perhaps an attempt at blackmail. My wife is too easily frightened."

Poirot: "A practical joke of a very unpleasant kind, Mr. Rolf. I think we should take this matter seriously. These letters are not the work of a joker."

Gregory Rolf: "Well, you're the detective. Do what you like. But I have business to attend to."

He then spoke to the Chinese servant, a man named Ah Ling, who seemed to be the only one not perturbed by the letters. He was a tall, impassive man, with a face that betrayed no emotion.

Poirot: "Tell me, Ah Ling, have you seen any strangers about the place? Any unusual visitors?"

Ah Ling: "No, master. No strangers. Only the master, the mistress, and the little master."

Poirot: "You have noticed nothing suspicious? No one lurking about the grounds?"

Ah Ling: "No, master. I see nothing."

Poirot thanked him and turned to Mary Marvell. "Madame, I would like to see the 'Western Star' now. It is important that I examine the jewel itself."

Chapter 3 — The Adventure of "The Western Star" · Part III

Summary: Poirot examines the "Western Star" and deduces the plot. He reveals the true culprit and demonstrates how the crime was committed, much to the astonishment of Hastings.

Mary Marvell brought out the 'Western Star,' a magnificent diamond of immense size and brilliance. It was set in a simple ring, and it sparkled with a fire that seemed to come from its very heart. Poirot examined it with his usual care, holding it up to the light and turning it this way and that.

Poirot: "It is a magnificent stone, Madame. I congratulate you on your possession of it. It is truly one of the most beautiful diamonds I have ever seen."

Mary Marvell: "It is a family heirloom, Monsieur Poirot. It has been in my family for over two hundred years. I could not bear to lose it."

Poirot: "And you have had it valued? You know its worth?"

Mary Marvell: "It was valued at fifty thousand pounds, but I believe it is worth much more."

Poirot then asked to see the Chinese servant, Ah Ling, again. He spoke to him in a low voice, and the man seemed to grow pale. After a few moments of intense conversation, Poirot turned to the assembled company.

Poirot: "I have solved this little problem. The whole thing is a clever fraud, engineered by the servants. The letters were written by Ah Ling, at the instigation of the valet, who is the real villain."

Hastings: "But how did you know, Poirot? How did you work it out?"

Poirot: "It was simple, my friend. The 'Western Star' is a fake, a paste copy. The real one has been stolen and hidden by the valet. He planned to make the theft appear the work of an eastern gang, but his own carelessness revealed his guilt."

Hastings: "You mean the diamond we are looking at is not real?"

Poirot: "Exactly, my friend. It is a clever imitation, but an imitation nonetheless. The real diamond is hidden in the valet's room."

Poirot was true to his word. The valet was arrested, and the diamond was recovered. Mary Marvell was so grateful that she insisted on paying Poirot a fee of two thousand pounds. Poirot and I left the house, feeling well satisfied with our work.

Chapter 4 — The Tragedy at Marsdon Manor · Part I

Summary: Poirot is confined to bed with influenza when Mr. Roger Havering arrives, begging for help. His uncle has been murdered at Marsdon Manor. Hastings, acting on Poirot's behalf, travels to the scene.

It was a bad morning for me. I had a bad cold, and Poirot was in bed with a severe attack of influenza. I was sitting by the fire, reading a magazine and feeling thoroughly miserable, when a visitor was announced. It was Mr. Roger Havering, a young man of about thirty, with a pale, frightened face and eyes that darted nervously about the room.

Roger Havering: "I am in desperate need of M. Poirot's help. My uncle, Mr. Harrington Pace, has been found shot dead at his house, Marsdon Manor. I am told he is the greatest detective in London. He must help me."

Hastings: "I am sorry to hear it, Mr. Havering. But Poirot is ill in bed. He cannot possibly see you. He has a high fever and is delirious at times."

Roger Havering: "I must see him! It is a matter of life and death!"

Poirot, however, insisted on seeing the visitor. He sent for him to be brought up to his room. He listened to the story with interest, his eyes bright even though his face was flushed with fever.

Poirot: "You say the police have been called in. Who is in charge of the case?"

Roger Havering: "Inspector Japp, from Scotland Yard."

Poirot: "Ah, Japp. He is a good man, a very good man. He will need my assistance, I am sure. Hastings, I am too ill to go myself. You must go to Marsdon Manor in my place. You must act as my eyes and ears."

Hastings: "But, Poirot, I am not a detective. I have no experience of such matters."

Poirot: "You have my instructions, my friend. You will observe and report. That is all I ask. Now, go quickly, and do not miss the train."

And so it was decided. I was to take the first train to Derbyshire and do my best to assist Inspector Japp in the investigation. I packed a small bag and set off for the station, feeling a strange mixture of excitement and apprehension.

Chapter 5 — The Tragedy at Marsdon Manor · Part II

Summary: Arriving at Marsdon Manor, Hastings discovers a house full of secrets. He meets Inspector Japp, and the two interview the housekeeper, who is the key witness to the crime.

I arrived at Marsdon Manor late in the afternoon. It was a gloomy, isolated house, perched on the edge of a lonely moor. The wind howled across the desolate landscape, and the house itself seemed to crouch against the hillside, as though trying to hide from the world. Inspector Japp was already there, and I found him in a state of great perplexity, pacing up and down the library.

Inspector Japp: "Ah, Captain Hastings! I am glad you have come. It is a bad business, a very bad business. The old man was shot in his study, and there is no trace of the murderer. It's as though he vanished into thin air."

Hastings: "Has anyone been arrested? Any suspects?"

Japp: "No, sir. No one. The only person who seems to have known anything is the housekeeper, Mrs. Middleton. She heard the shot and saw a man leaving the house."

Hastings: "A man? Did she describe him?"

Japp: "She says he was a tall man, with a black beard. He was wearing a dark coat and a hat pulled down over his eyes."

I spoke with Mrs. Middleton, who seemed to be a competent, sensible woman. She was in her fifties, with a calm, steady manner that belied the horror of what she had witnessed. She told me that she had let a black-bearded stranger into the house on the night of the murder, and that she had heard a shot, followed by the sound of a car speeding away.

Mrs. Middleton: "He was a tall man, with a black beard. He asked for Mr. Pace, and I showed him into the study. A few minutes later, I heard a shot. I hurried to the door, but it was locked. We had to break it down."

Hastings: "And Mr. Pace was dead?"

Mrs. Middleton: "Yes, sir. Shot through the head. I have never seen anything so terrible in all my life."

Hastings: "And you are sure it was a stranger? You did not recognize him?"

Mrs. Middleton: "No, sir. I had never seen him before. He was a complete stranger."

I listened to her story carefully, and a few hours later, I wired all the details to Poirot. I felt confident that I had gathered all the necessary information for him to work his magic.

Chapter 6 — The Tragedy at Marsdon Manor · Part III

Summary: Hastings continues his investigation, interviewing the household and uncovering a web of secrets and lies. He discovers that the victim had recently changed his will.

The next morning, I began my investigation in earnest. I interviewed the other members of the household, including the butler, the cook, and the chauffeur. Each of them had a story to tell, but none of them seemed to be telling the whole truth.

The butler, a man named Parkinson, was particularly evasive. He seemed nervous and uncomfortable, and he avoided my gaze whenever I questioned him.

Parkinson: "I saw nothing, sir. I was in the pantry when the shot was fired. I heard it, of course, but I did not see anyone."

Hastings: "And you did not see the stranger? The man with the black beard?"

Parkinson: "No, sir. I was in the pantry. I saw nothing."

Hastings: "I see. And what can you tell me about Mr. Pace's will? I understand he changed it recently."

Parkinson's face grew pale. He did not answer immediately, but his hands trembled slightly as he stood before me. I had struck a nerve.

Parkinson: "I know nothing about the will, sir. That is a private matter."

Hastings: "Nevertheless, I have been told that Mr. Pace changed his will a week before his death. Is that true?"

Parkinson: "I believe he did, sir. But I do not know the details."

I knew I was on to something. The change in the will could be the motive for the murder. I made a note of this and continued my investigation, determined to uncover the truth.

Chapter 7 — The Tragedy at Marsdon Manor · Part IV

Summary: Poirot, now recovered, pieces together the true version of events. He reveals that the murder was committed by a surprising culprit, and that the motive was greed.

Two days later, I was back in London, and I hastened to Poirot's rooms to report on my findings. Poirot was sitting up in bed, looking much better. His fever had subsided, and he was reading a French novel with evident enjoyment.

Poirot: "Ah, my friend, you have returned. Tell me everything. Do not omit the smallest detail. I am most eager to hear your account."

Hastings: "There is not much to tell. The housekeeper, Mrs. Middleton, let in a stranger with a black beard. He went into the study, and a shot was heard. The man then escaped in a car. The police have no leads."

Poirot: "The black-bearded man was never seen by anyone except Mrs. Middleton. That is the important point, my friend. No one else saw him."

Hastings: "But she described him perfectly."

Poirot: "She described a man from her imagination. The black-bearded stranger did not exist."

Poirot listened to my account, his eyes twinkling with amusement. He had already deduced the truth, and he was waiting for me to reach the same conclusion.

Poirot: "The case is very simple, my friend. The black-bearded man never existed. He was a fiction, created by Mrs. Middleton herself. She was the murderer."

Hastings: "What? But why would she do such a thing? She seemed so calm and composed."

Poirot: "For the same reason that all criminals act—greed. Mr. Pace's fortune was left to her in a new will. She needed the money to pay off her son's gambling debts. She killed him and invented the story of the black-bearded stranger to throw suspicion away from herself."

Poirot's theory proved to be correct. Mrs. Middleton was arrested and confessed to the crime. Poirot, in his own quiet way, had solved yet another mystery.

Chapter 8 — The Tragedy at Marsdon Manor · Part V

Summary: The case concludes with Poirot reflecting on human nature and the art of detection. He shares his thoughts on the importance of observing small details.

The day after Mrs. Middleton's confession, I sat with Poirot in his rooms, discussing the case. The sun was shining, and the room was filled with the pleasant aroma of his coffee.

Poirot: "You see, my friend, the key to the whole thing was the smallest detail. The housekeeper said she had never seen the stranger before. But she described him in such vivid detail that it was clear she had invented him. An innocent person would have been vague, uncertain."

Hastings: "I would never have noticed that."

Poirot: "That is because you do not use your little grey cells, my friend. You look, but you do not observe. You listen, but you do not hear. The art of detection is the art of noticing the things that others overlook."

Hastings: "And what about the change in the will?"

Poirot: "That was the motive. Once I knew that Mr. Pace had changed his will in Mrs. Middleton's favor, the case was clear. She had the motive, the opportunity, and the means. All that remained was to prove it."

Poirot smiled contentedly and sipped his coffee. I realized that I had learned a valuable lesson from him—a lesson that would serve me well in all my future adventures.

Adapted from the Original work by Agatha Christie
Public domain (1924) · This adaptation follows the playbook series format

Comments

Popular Posts

Theory of Constraints

Theory of Constraints Manufacturing flow and constraint management – a core visual of the Theory of Constraints Meta Summary: A complete playbook on the Theory of Constraints (TOC) – covering foundational concepts, the five focusing steps , throughput accounting , thinking processes, implementation tools (Drum-Buffer-Rope, Critical Chain), and limitations. All information is sourced from free, publicly accessible references. Table of Contents Chapter 1: Fundamentals of the Theory of Constraints Chapter 2: The Five Focusing Steps Chapter 3: Throughput Accounting and Performance Metrics Chapter 4: Thinking Processes and Logic Tools Chapter 5: Implementation Tools – Drum-Buffer-Rope and Critical Chain Chapter 6: Limitations and Common Criticisms Related Topics FAQ Chapter 1: Fundamentals of the Theory of Constraints Origins and Core Definition The Theory of Constraints (TOC)...

THE MALTESE FALCON - PLAYBOOK 4: THE FINAL RECKONING

THE MALTESE FALCON - PLAYBOOK 4: THE FINAL RECKONING Adapted by Kateule Sydney from the Original Work by Dashiell Hammett · Public domain (1930) TABLE OF CONTENTS  Chapter 22: The Aftermath Counting the cost of the falcon's trail  Chapter 23: Gutman's Return The fat man refuses to stay buried  Chapter 24: The Truth About Brigid Spade learns the full story  Chapter 25: The Trial Justice in the courtroom  Chapter 26: The Visitor An unexpected arrival  Chapter 27: The Falcon's Ghost The past refuses to stay dead  Chapter 28: The Final Price The last chapter of the Maltese Falcon  Chapter 22: The Aftermath The days that followed the falcon's disappearance were quiet. Too quiet. Spade spent most of his time at the office, going through the motions of his business. But his heart wasn't in it. Something had been taken from him—something he couldn't quite name. Miles Archer's desk sat empty in the corner of the office. Spade had tried to clean it...

Agricultural Updates: Global Food Security, Market Shifts, and Climate Resilience

Agricultural Updates: Global Food Security, Market Shifts, and Climate Resilience Last Verified: 2026-08-06 | Author: Kateule Sydney | Published by E-cyclopedia Resources | Topic: Agricultural Updates Global agricultural updates highlight climate shocks, trade disruptions, and shifting market dynamics Summary: Global agricultural markets face mounting pressure from climate shocks, geopolitical disruptions, and shifting trade patterns. The UN warns El Niño could push 49 million more people into acute hunger by 2027, while Britain faces its worst cereal harvest in four decades. Black Sea freight constraints have overtaken price as the primary factor limiting wheat exports, and China's aggressive soybean buying continues to shape complex dynamics ahead of the USDA WASDE report. Table of Contents Chapter 1 — El Niño Threatens Food Security in East and Southern Africa Chapter 2 — UK Faces Worst Cereal Harvest Sinc...